At the Perfect Smile Clinic Ltd, we work to continuously develop and progress our skills whilst investing in the newest and most innovative dental treatments and technologies such as the CBCT scanner. With this type of advanced equipment available on site – our patients are able to receive the highest quality and most up to date dental care possible all under one roof.
We are currently one of the relatively few practices in Suffolk to have this state-of-the-art facility in house. Thanks to this technology our highly trained clinical team are able to gain high resolution images of both upper and lower jaws down to single tooth scan details at ultra-fast speeds.
What is a CBCT Scanner?
A CBCT scanner (Cone Beam Computed Tomography) is a state-of-the-art scanning machine that is used to produce precise, high resolution 3D images of a patient’s mouth including the teeth, jaws, soft tissue and bones – all with high levels of detail.
Using the lowest possible radiation dose amongst products available internationally, the CBCT dental scanner is used as an advanced diagnostic tool to take a 3D CT scan of the patient’s mouth. The resulting images are comparable to medical CT scans. This pioneering technology has transformed the way dentists treat patients, providing a more effective planning process for intricate or potentially complicated cases and allowing for highly accurate treatment simulations.
What is a CBCT scan used for?
A CBCT dental scanner has become a crucial tool that can be instrumental when considering complex treatments and surgical procedures. At The Perfect Smile Clinic, we find this technology is invaluable when working with complex cases and surgical procedures such as dental implant placement and bone augmentation. The cutting-edge 3D imaging is also a useful diagnostic tool for orthodontics, endodontics and periodontal treatments.
The resulting images can be useful for a wide range of cases, including those that involve:
- Dental implant planning and placement
- Diagnosis and detection of infections and tumours
- Oral surgery
- Complex endodontic cases
- Orthodontic treatment
- Periodontal disease
Advantages of CBCT scans for our patients
- It is minimally invasive – particularly beneficial for anxious patients.
- Provides the patient with an improved understanding of the treatment plan as images can be used to explain how a procedure is going to work.
- The efficacy of treatment is increased and potential risks and mistakes are greatly reduced.
Advantages for our dentists in treatment planning
- The images produced are incredibly accurate and detailed, which is beneficial during the detection and diagnosis of oral health problems.
- Scanned images can be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatment and can aid in the planning of proposed treatments.
- Dentists can use the detailed images to talk openly to patients about oral health conditions and more easily explain how treatment will work.
- CBCT scanners also improve accuracy, as they provide incredibly detailed images and allow dentists to assess the risk of a procedure or course of treatment.