At The Perfect Smile Clinic we are pleased to offer inhalation sedation, which is a form of conscious sedation. It can be an invaluable service for nervous patients and is a form of anxiety control to make treatment more pleasant.
Sedation offers a modern alternative to general anaesthesia for most dental procedures. This means breathing in a mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen (‘gas and air’), which quickly leads to a pleasant and calm feeling.
Although you may feel a little drowsy, you will stay conscious at all times.
Why choose inhalation sedation?
- It’s very effective
- It’s a very comfortable experience – you simply breath through a nose-piece.
- It is completely safe. You can’t overdose on gas and air.
- There are no after-effects. You can drive home after about 15 minutes, although we recommend you have somebody to accompany you.
Inhalation sedation is for you if:
- You’re particularly nervous about pain during a dental treatment.
- You want to feel more relaxed during your visit to the dentist.
- You have another medical condition where you may find it difficult to control some of your body movements
- You need lengthy dental treatment and feel that sedation may help you to cope better. You could benefit from sedation if you have to undergo a one-off treatment that you would much rather be unaware of, for example implants or extractions.
Is inhalation sedation safe?
Yes, this procedure is completely safe. The gas and air mixture quickly leaves the body as soon as you breathe in one or two breaths of ordinary air. There are also no adverse side-effects to worry about.
Please call the practice if you have any questions about sedation.